An Investor’s Guide To Portugal’s Golden Visa Program
What is the Golden Visa?
The Golden Visa is a residency-by-investment programme which offers citizens of non-European Union countries who invest in Portugal the opportunity to obtain a residence permit for the country.
Advantages of the Golden Visa
After 5 years of temporary residence the applicant may apply for permanent residency. After 5 years of legal residence, the applicant may also apply for Portuguese citizenship, by naturalization, provided all requirements set out by the Nationality Act are fulfilled. The holder of a golden visa may also obtain residence permits for their family (spouse, minors, dependent children, dependent parents and siblings who are under the care of the applicant). Subject to compliance with certain requirements, the visa holder may also apply for the granting of a non-permanent residence special taxation condition, which offers a reduced income tax rate. In addition, Portuguese golden visa holders acquire the right to travel visa-free and reside in the 26 Schengen area countries, including:
• Belgium • Czech Republic • Denmark • Estonia • Finland • France • Germany • Greece • Hungary • Iceland • Italy • Latvia • Lithuania • Luxembourg • Malta • Norway • Poland • Slovakia • Slovenia • Spain • Sweden • Switzerland • The Netherlands
How do I qualify?
To qualify, you need to be a citizen of a third-party country (i.e. Portuguese, EU and EEE nationals are not eligible for the Golden Visa programme). You must then opt for an investment route, as an individual or through a company.There are three main investment routes, with different amounts of investment required within each one:
Capital Transfer (equal to or above EUR1 million)
Job Creation (at least 10 jobs)
Purchase of Real Estate
The purchase of property with a value equal to or above EUR500,000 or The purchase of a property older than 30 years or in an urban regeneration area for refurbishment, with a value equal to or above EUR350,000
What are the requirements?
According to the scheme, the investor shall maintain the investment for 5 years and comply with the minimum residency periods of 7 days in the first year, and 14 days in the subsequent 2-year periods.
What documentation is needed?
In general, the applicant will need to submit the following documentation:
1. Passport which is valid for at least three months, and valid Schengen or short-term visa;
2. Evidence of health insurance;
3. Signed authorization for consultation of criminal record;
4. Affidavit sworn by the applicant confirming that he/she will comply with the minimum requirements;
5. Certificate of non-debt issued by the Tax Authorities and Social Security in Portugal;
6. Criminal record from the country of origin, and of the country where the applicant has resided for more than one year;
7. Proof of the investment (the documentation required will vary according to the type of investment made).
How can I apply?
Get Golden Visa is happy to assist interested investors throughout their Golden Visa application.